Virginia Satir (considered the founding mother of family therapy work) said: Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible; the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family.
However, sometimes a nurturing family environment is difficult to grow and/or maintain for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
– Relationship discord;
– Life stressors;
– Family history (extended and immediate);
– Substance abuse; and
– Physical and mental health difficulties
As a result of the difficulties families may encounter, the influence of our family in our lives can range from being one of our greatest resources to being a large source of pain and/or frustration, and sometimes these difficulties seem very hard if not impossible to resolve.
PACT psychologists experienced in family and couples therapy work can help your family to build a more nurturing family environment by helping to:
– Increase and Improve communication between family members;
– Reduce conflict between family members;
– Strengthen connections between family members;
– Harness the strengths of your family unit;
– Provide an environment that allows for each family member to have a voice and feel heard; and
Increase your family’s ability to tackle life’s difficult issues as a nurturing family unit.